A must-remove malicious browser extension called Sweet Page which redirects users to sweet-page.com is painstakingly examined in this article. The guide covers this adware's adverse effects upon a PC, its tasks, and easy-to-follow advice on how to get rid of this infection.
There aren't many adware programs in the wild as intrusive as Sweet Page. Technically, this is a malign browser helper object acting in a very persistent fashion in that it cannot be completely uninstalled through a process that normally leads to add-on deletion as long as it's legitimate. In the case of Sweet Page threat, some of the essential web browser settings get modified without due approval – it seems the user is no longer in charge of how the Internet surfing goes. The custom homepage is changed to sweet-page.com along with the default search engine. Another thing this virus does is adding the respective URL to the Target configuration of shortcuts for Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome, as well as random applications. Ultimately, all of these alterations equal to recurrently visiting the landing page that the offenders are so interested in attracting people to.
So, what's so special about sweet-page.com from the bad guys' perspective? While it looks like a search provider, it doesn't deliver the expected functionality – users get rerouted to Yahoo! Search instead when a keyword or set of keywords is entered. Obviously therefore, bringing web traffic to a third-party service is profitable. One more thing that is a lure to the fraudsters is ads displayed on the landing page proper; that's another income generator.
Not remembering to have downloaded the Sweet Page extension as such is a normal workflow here, because it installs in a covert way by bundling with other software. Free apps designed for computer user experience improvement (media players, streaming content converters, PDF converters, etc.) are the most likely promoters of the adware in question, moreover the complementary object being brought along is not mentioned during the setup.
It makes no sense trying to tame this infection by only restoring the modified settings – it simply won't work. To handle the Sweet Page adware the right way, you need to adopt a number of measures which are highlighted in the following part of this tutorial.
Use automatic solution to remove Sweet Page virus
The issue of Sweet Page adware hijacking a web browser can be effectively resolved if you use trusted security software. Along with the apparent ease of such removal, other benefits include thoroughness of virus detection and elimination from all system locations it might have affected. Please follow these steps:
1. Download and install Sweet Page redirect removal tool. Run the application and select Start Computer Scan option in order to have your computer checked for adware, viruses, Trojans, and other malicious objects.
2. When the scan is complete, it will return a list with results on what infections have been found. Go ahead and click Fix Threats to completely get rid of the detected items. The Sweet Page virus should now be gone from your PC.
Uninstall malicious program via Control Panel
• Go to Control Panel on the infected computer. On Windows XP / Windows 8, proceed to Add or Remove Programs. On Windows Vista / Windows 7, select Uninstall a program
• Review the list of installed software and search for Sweet Page or any recently downloaded free programs that you aren't sure to be safe (SupTab, WPM, SweetPage Browser New Tab Extension). Once the culprit entry is found, select it and click Uninstall/Change.
Manual removal of Sweet-Page.com virus from the affected browsers
This section will cover step-by-step instructions for deleting the specific objects (add-ons, search providers), restoring the correct defaults and modifying shortcut settings for the major web browsers: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome.
Reset Internet Explorer's default configuration
• Click on the Gear icon / Tools in IE and select Manage add-ons
• On the list of Add-on types, select Toolbars and Extensions. Right-click on the Sweet Page entry and select Disable from the context menu
• On the same interface, select Search Providers under Add-on Types. Right-click on the Sweet Page item and choose Remove as shown on the image below. In addition, select a different search engine you would like to use
• In order to prevent the IE shortcut from launching sweet-page.com each time you open the browser, right-click on it, then hit the Shortcut tab. Go ahead and erase https://www.sweet-page.com from the Target section. Save the changes
• IE homepage can be restored in the following way: click on the Gear icon / Tools and select Internet Options. Go to General tab and enter the preferred home URL
Sweet Page removal from Firefox
• Type about:config in the URL area and press Enter. Click "I'll be careful, I promise!" on the warning that gets displayed to confirm the configuration change intensions
• Type sweet-page in the Search field - All Firefox preferences related to Sweet Page will be returned as a list. Right-click every single entry and select Reset for those
• Just like in case with Internet Explorer outlined above, now you need to get your browser shortcut working the right way. Right-click on the Firefox shortcut and select Properties. Proceed to the Shortcut tab and delete https://www.sweet-page.com from the Target field. Be sure to save the changes
Sweet Page removal from Google Chrome
• Click on the Chrome menu icon in the top right-hand part of the Chrome window and select Settings
• On the screen that opened, look for the section called On startup and click on the radio button for Open a specific page or set of pages. Then click on the Set pages option
• Locate the entry associated with sweet-page.com in its URL and click the X button next to it
• Now go to the Appearance section under Settings. Put a check mark next to Show Home button and click on the Change option
• Select Use the New Tab page and save the changes
• Proceed now to the Search field under Settings. Select Manage search engines. Remove Sweet Page from the list by clicking on the X button next to it and choose a different search service to use further on by default
• Return to the Chrome menu and select Tools. Click on the Extensions menu in the left-hand part of the page. Locate Sweet Page and click on the respective trash bin icon to eliminate the bad add-on
• Now right-click on the Chrome shortcut icon and choose Parameters. Hit the Shortcut tab at the top and erase https://www.sweet-page.com from the Target field. Save the changes
Make sure Sweet Page virus has vanished
When it comes to persistent threats, double-checking never hurts. Therefore it's highly recommended to complete Sweet Page cleanup process with a final scan that will once again look for any potential bits and pieces of the infection